Gout Natural Remedy Tips
1. Before you begin, you should recognize and understand the causes of gout. When your body is not able to flush uric acid as efficiently as it is supposed to, it is deposited between joints and settles, forming crystals. As these crystals grow, they begin to cause excruciating pain. Uric acid is a by-product of purines that are consumed when eating animal products, like meat, seafood, and alcohol. These should be avoided if you are at risk for gout.
2. Flushing your body is also extremely important. Drinking water has countless benefits and flushing uric acid is only one of them. Ensuring that you drink enough water throughout the day is an important way to flush your body of toxins. To maximize the benefit, you should be drinking at least 16 ounces of water every two hours that you are awake.
3. Given the source of uric acid, it goes without saying that your diet is extremely important. Foods that are low in purines are green vegetables, tomatoes, sugar, low-fat milk products, eggs, cheese, olives, rice, pasta, grains, breads, fruits, chocolate cereals, and coffee.
4. Cherries and cherry juice are also viable remedies for some. There has been recent research and news surrounding cherries as a gout natural cure . One study involved 10 healthy women that were able to lower their uric acid levels simply by using cherries.
The Pharmacological Mechanism Of Tongfengan Mixture In The Treatment Of Gout
Tongfengan Mixture, composed of Herba Lysimachiae, Semen Sinapis, Thallus Ulvae Fasciata, Spora Lygodii, Rhizoma Smilacis Glabrae, Flos Carthami, Radix Paeoniae Rubra, Pseudobullbus Cremastrae, Rhizoma Alismatis and Rhizoma Corydalis, has the function of softening hardness and dissipating mass. It is found that in the rat models, Tongfengan Mixture can relieve the swelling, reduce the level of MSU crystals in the ankle joints, and reduce the inflammatory reaction, which may be achieved by reducing the inflammatory reaction in the blood . Liu et al. suggested that Tongfeng Mixture could inhibit the secretion of inflammatory factors like IL-1, TNF- and NF-B in the synovial tissue of the ankle joint of rats by clearing away urate crystals, and reducing the inflammation.
Why Do I Suffer From Gout
One word: hyperuricemia. Or, in other words, increased uric acid in your blood. This is the reason why your joints are painful and inflamed. Uric acid is a normal product in your body it is a substance that breaks down purines in your body which are found in certain foods that we eat, in addition to being found in human cells. When your body overproduces uric acid, youre at risk for developing gout. But, why would your body overproduce uric acid?
The triggers of hyperuricemia include:
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Eating large amounts of red meat and shellfish
- Drinking sugary sodas
It is these types of triggers that can create the hyperuricemia, which can result in gout. When you overproduce uric acid, your kidneys have to work harder to flush out the extra uric acid out of your bloodstream, as they would normally do.
Read Also: Is Onion Bad For Gout
Practice Mindfulness And Meditation
The good news: A gout attack is self-limited and will clear in time. In the meantime, according to the Arthritis Foundation, meditation, yoga breathing, mindfulness, and guided imagery can help you deal with the pain.
RELATED: Why You Want to Elicit the Relaxation Response If You Have Rheumatoid Arthritis
Who Can And Can’t Take Colchicine
Colchicine can be taken by most adults aged 18 and over.
It can sometimes be prescribed for children by a specialist doctor.
Colchicine is not suitable for some people. To make sure it’s safe for you, tell your doctor if you:
- have ever had an allergic reaction to colchicine or any other medicines
- have a severe blood disorder
- have severe kidney or liver problems
- have problems with your heart or digestive system
- are pregnant, think you might be pregnant or are trying for a baby
Women who could become pregnant will usually only be prescribed colchicine if they are using suitable contraception.
Read Also: Are Almonds Bad For Gout
From Gout Remedy Report
Painkillers do nothing more than mask pain. So, even though you no longer feel the pain, the underlying cause is still affecting your joints. Continued use of painkillers causes people to ignore the problem of gout and thus disfiguring their joints in the process. To maintain the ability to continue using your joints, you need to learn how to flush the uric acid from them.
People have been suffering from gout for centuries. As such, the disease has been studied in detail for hundreds of years. Thanks to all this research, gout can be cured with the proper application of knowledge and dedication. By knowing what causes gout and understanding how to flush the uric acid from your body, you can cure gout naturally.
Here are some tips to help you with your home treatment.
Natural Products As A Source For New Leads In Gout Treatment
Editorial | Open Access
Samuel M. Silvestre, Paulo J. S. Almeida, Reda El-Shishtawy,”Natural Products as a Source for New Leads in Gout Treatment”,Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine,vol. 2020,Article ID 8274975,3pages,2020.https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8274975
Read Also: Almond And Gout
Gout Remedy Tips From Gout Remedy Report
Whenever I tell people that the best cure for gout is one that doesn’t involve painkillers, I always get the strangest looks. People are always very puzzled by this until I explain the reasons behind this.
Gout has to be one of the most painful varieties of arthritis. From a medical standpoint, there isn’t a single cure for gout, either by pill or injection. In these cases, doctors will prescribe medication to treat the symptoms, such as pain and inflammation. However, the painkillers and other medications can do more harm than good over a long period of time.
The most effective gout natural cure is one that flushes the uric acid that causes pain and inflammation. By making changes to your diet, taking vitamins, learning what herbs to use, and making other lifestyle changes, you can actually cure gout naturally.
Let me explain.
Complementary And Alternative Therapies
A combination of therapies can be very effective at reducing both the length and frequency of attacks. When choosing complementary and alternative therapies for gout treatment, it is best to work with a knowledgeable provider. Herbs and supplements that may be beneficial for some people, may be harmful for others. If you are pregnant, or thinking about becoming pregnant, do not use any CAM therapies unless directed to do so by your physician.
Nutrition and Supplements
These nutritional tips may help reduce symptoms:
You may address nutritional deficiencies with the following supplements:
Avoid taking extra niacin and vitamin A. Both may play a role in gout.
Herbs are generally a safe way to strengthen and tone the body’s systems. As with any therapy, you should work with your provider before starting any treatment. You may use herbs as dried extracts , glycerites , or tinctures . Unless otherwise indicated, make teas with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 to 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 to 20 minutes for roots. Drink 2 to 4 cups per day. You may use tinctures alone, or in combination, as noted.
Acupuncture may help manage pain associated with gout.
Some of the most common remedies used for gout are listed below. A common dose is 3 to 5 pellets of a 12X – 30C remedy every 1 to 4 hours until your symptoms improve.
Recommended Reading: Side Effects Of Allopurinol And Alcohol
Cherries And Cherry Juice
Cherries / concentrated cherry juice can help to relieve the inflammation and pain of a gout attack as well as reduce uric acid levels in the blood. So, not only can they relieve the painful symptoms fast, they can also help to prevent future gout flares.
Research suggests that 20 cherries per day is much the same as taking one NSAID and that cherries, taken in combination with traditional uric-acid reducing drugs, can significantly help to reduce the risk of gout flares.
Cherries are rich in anthocyanins which are known to have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. In studies, whole cherries and concentrated cherry juice were found to be equally effective so, where you cant get fresh cherries, concentrated cherry juice will do the job.
This is one of the most popular, if not the most popular, of all the natural gout remedies out there.
Cautions With Other Medicines
Certain medicines can interfere with the way colchicine works. Some can make you more likely to get serious or life-threatening side effects.
Speak to your doctor before starting on colchicine if you take:
- medicines that can affect your kidneys, your liver or your blood
- clarithromycin or erythromycin
- ritonavir or atazanavir
- ketoconazole, itraconazole or voriconazole
- verapamil or diltiazem
Your doctor may need to adjust your dose if you are taking any of these medicines.
Read Also: Is Almond Milk Good For Gout
How To Handle Your First Gout Attack
After a first attack of gout, its OK to try to stave off another one with dietary changes alone. But if you have another attack, its important to start taking preventive gout medications on a regular basis. Long-term medications for gout include allopurinol and febuxostat, both of which limit uric acid production.
Some patients, says Dr. Fields, treat each attack as a separate event and dont talk to their doctors about doing a preventive approach. He uses the analogy of lighting a book of matches. If you have one match lit, its easy to put out, but if you have the whole book lit, its a lot harder.
If You Are Having Repeated Attacks See Your Doctor
Some patients can go a long time between attacks. In fact, for 62 percent of patients the next attack will be more than a year away, and some won’t have another attack in the next 10 years. However, if you begin to have more frequent attacks, talk to your doctor about escalating treatment. People think its normal to have flares every now and then, but its not. The gout can be doing damage to your joints. It means you still have too much uric acid, says Shakouri. In particular, ask about allpurinol. It wont help with an acute attack but will help prevent future attacks by reducing uric acid production.
Read Also: Are Oranges Good For Gout
Can Gout Be Prevented
Some people with gout experience recurrent attacks, which may be prevented by using prescription medications. These medicines work by lowering uric acid levels in the blood. The most commonly used is allopurinol. This helps to lower uric acid levels by reducing the body’s production of uric acid.
You can also reduce your chance of having further attacks of gout by adopting some sensible lifestyle changes, such as:
- reducing alcohol intake avoid binge drinking, in particular
- gradually losing weight if you are overweight, while avoiding fad diets
- eating a healthy, balanced diet
- drinking plenty of water, especially when at risk of dehydration
There is no scientific evidence that particular foods cause gout, but some studies have shown that people who are prone to gout are more likely to eat foods rich in purines a substance that’s converted into uric acid within the body.
Foods with high levels of purines include:
- red meat and offal such as liver, kidneys and heart
- seafood, especially shellfish, scallops, mussels, herring, mackerel, sardines and anchovies
- foods containing yeast such as Vegemite and beer
It’s best to seek the advice of your doctor or an accredited practising dietitian before making any changes to your diet. Most people with gout find that a healthy, balanced diet along with medication is enough to reduce their uric acid levels.
Treating Gout At Home
This section on how to relieve gout pain is a very useful reference for those nights when you wake
up in agony. When you have a gout attack, you need to get the uric acid out of your system and treat
Relax and keep your body calm.
Take proper medication.
For some people an over the counter anti inflammatory such as ibuprofen may be helpful but read the package insert carefully or discuss with the pharmacist.
Ice the affected area and elevate the joint.
If the pain is severe and doesnt diminish, its recommended to seek medical advice.
Read Also: Almonds And Gout
Additional Tips For Treating Gout Naturally
Studies show that many of the dietary items we consume lead to gout as well as other health problems. Changing your diet and lifestyle may be the easy solution to beating gout. One of the first things to do is eliminate certain foods and beverages from your diet to beat gout.
1. Eliminate or reduce sugar intake
As many studies are now illustrating, gout is common in people with excessive sugar intake, especially high fructose corn syrup Its wise to read the labels of all your food and drinks. If you find HFCS then eliminate that from your diet. In addition, look for sugar added under the guise of other common names for sugar look for cose at the end of words and these are probably types of sugar you dont want to be consuming.
2. Eliminate grains
Grains in the body are converted to sugars so again you want to limit or avoid grains altogether. They are also very inflammatory to your body.
3. Limit alcohol consumption
Again, alcohol becomes sugar once ingested so eliminate this completely unless you have a healthy body already. Any substance that will be converted to one or another type of sugar by the body should be avoided at all costs. In order to get your uric acid levels down you must consistently avoid sugar in your diet.
4. Eliminate soda and diet soda
5. Consume cherries and strawberries daily
If you want to learn more natural remedies and natural cures, subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Southern Cross Medical Library
The purpose of the Southern Cross Medical Library is to provide information of a general nature to help you better understand certain medical conditions. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. This information is not intended to relate specifically to insurance or healthcare services provided by Southern Cross. For more articles go to the Medical Library index page.
You May Like: Are Onions High In Purines
Natural Home Remedies For Gout
People with gout are increasingly looking for natural home remedies for gout. So, if youre in that group, here are ten of the most popular and effective.
But first, please take a couple of minutes to listen to gout specialist, the excellent Dr. Edwards
- It can affect various joints in the body, not just the big toe.
- Repeat gout attacks can eventually lead to disablement.
- The incidence of gout worldwide has doubled over the past 20 years.
- Gout isnt just a disease of the rich, those who overeat, or those who drink alcohol to excess.
- Theres certainly a link between obesity and gout, but not all obese people will have gout.
- Theres also a link between alcohol and gout, but not all people with gout drink alcohol.
- Middle-aged men are most at risk although women also have a higher risk as they grow older.
- Once you have gout its for life, not just when youre suffering the symptoms of a gout attack.
Note: Dr. Edwards spoke about the links between obesity, alcohol and gout and explained that not all people who are obese or who drink to excess have gout.
However, studies have shown that obesity and alcohol are high risk factors for gout. So although some people who are obese, or who drink to excess, may not have gout now, nevertheless they are still at a higher risk of gout at some point in their lives compared with those who are not obese and who dont drink to excess.
For me, the two main takeaways from Dr. Edwards very informative video are:
Hot And Cold Application
One of the simple home remedies for gout is the oldest and something you probably have been using for years. You will want to try applying hot or cold towels to the affected joint. Keep the towel or ice for 10-15 minutes and you should notice improvement. Ice works better for most patients while a hot towel works for some. Elevate your joint to force blood return to the heart which decreases inflammation even faster.
Suggested article: Gout Ice Packs Can Ice Alleviate Gout Pain?
Recommended Reading: Is Onions Good For Gout
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Gout
Medications for acute gout attack: These medications are usually prescribed to treat an acute attack of gout:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs : These can quickly relieve the pain and swelling of an acute gout episode. They can shorten the attack, especially if taken in the first 24 hours.
- Corticosteroids: These drugs can be taken by mouth or injected into an inflamed joint to quickly relieve the pain and swelling of an acute attack. Corticosteroids usually start working within 24 hours after they are taken.
- Colchicine: An anti-inflammatory medicine that works best if taken within the first 24 hours of a gout attack.
Medications for reducing uric acid levels: These are usually prescribed after an acute attack ends to reduce uric acid levels in the body to prevent future attacks.
- Colchicine: Regular and low doses of colchicine may be given along with other medications below to prevent flare-ups.
- Allopurinol: It reduces uric acid production in the body.
- : It reduces uric acid production in the body.
- Probenecid: It acts on the kidneys to help eliminate uric acid.
- Pegloticase: This is a medication that is injected every 2 weeks. It reduces uric acid quickly and used when other medications fail.
Lifestyle and home remedies to treat acute gout and can prevent recurrent attacks:
- Limiting or avoiding alcohol consumption and drinks sweetened with fructose
- Limiting intake of foods high in purines, such as red meat, organ meats, and seafood
- Drinking plenty of fluids