Who Is Affected By Gout
Gout can affect anyone. It usually occurs earlier in men than women. It generally occurs after menopause in women. Men can be three times more likely than women to get it because they have higher levels of uric acid most of their lives. Women reach these uric acid levels after menopause.
People are more likely to get gout if they have:
- Obesity, or a lot of extra weight.
You are also more likely to develop gout if you:
- Consume a diet high in animal proteins
- Consume a significant amount of alcohol
- Are on water pills .
Prescribed Medications That Reduce Uric Acid Levels
Medications, such as allopurinol, indomethacin, febuxostat, or colchicine, can rid your body of uric acid quickly, though not immediately
If you are looking for a permanent cure for your gout problems by using only Safe Natural methods continue reading.
Now let us learn more about Gout.
Gout is one of the common types of arthritis caused due to increased levels of uric acid in the bloodstream and synovial fluid.
The excess uric acid crystallizes and gets deposited in the joints and surrounding space. It results in pain, swelling, and inflammation of the joints. Gout most commonly affects the big toe. However, it can also affect other body parts like ankles, knees, legs, elbows, wrists, and fingers.
The gout symptoms start suddenly, causing intense pain in the joints. The condition is more common in middle-aged men and women after menopause.
Being overweight, excess alcoholism, and a diet high in purine-rich foods are some of the factors responsible for Gout.
Getting The Most From Your Treatment
- Try to keep your regular appointments with your doctor. This is so your doctor can check on your progress.
- Do not drink grapefruit juice while you are on colchicine. This is because grapefruit juice increases the risk that you will experience side-effects from the colchicine.
- Colchicine tablets are taken in short courses of treatment to relieve the pain of a gout attack. If you have frequent attacks of gout, let your doctor know as they may prescribe another medicine for you to take every day to help prevent the attacks from occurring.
- There are a number of lifestyle changes that you can make to help reduce the risk of having a gout attack. These include losing weight , eating a healthy diet and not drinking much alcohol or sugar-sweetened soft drinks. Your doctor will advise you about the changes which could benefit you.
- Never take more than the prescribed dose. Taking too much colchicine can cause serious problems. If you suspect that someone has taken an overdose of colchicine or has swallowed some by accident, you must contact a doctor straightaway. Alternatively, go to the accident and emergency department of a local hospital. Do not delay. Take the container with you, even if it is empty. This is so the doctor knows what has been taken.
Don’t Miss: Are Oranges Good For Gout
Risk Factors For Gout
Gout is more likely to occur in:
- Men. Men have a seven to nine times higher risk of gout than women, although the risk increases for women after menopause
- People with a diet high in purine-rich foods such as red meat, organ meats , seafood . Processed foods , refined carbohydrates and beverages high in fructose or sucrose also contribute to gout
- Certain ethnicities
- People who overindulge in alcohol, particularly beer and spirits
- People with certain medical conditions , and with some medications or treatments .
Gout Remedies For Pain
1. Drink More WaterThe more water you drink, the more level youre able to keep the uric acid levels in your body. When you dont drink enough water, the uric acid levels rise and cause more pain. Drink water throughout the day to keep the levels normalized and to reduce pain.
2. Apply a Cold CompressApplying a cold compress to the affected area can help ease pain and inflammation. Apply the cold compress to the area for 20-30 minutes several times a day- you can make one using a bag of crushed ice or a pack of peas and a dish cloth.
3. Rest and RelaxIf youve had a gout attack, one of the best things you can do is rest your body. Stress can aggravate gout, so relax as much as you can- watch Netflix, call a friend, read a book or listen to music to get you into a relaxed state. Whatever you do, dont go on any long walks or stand for a long time- this will make the pain much worse.
4. MedicationIf you feel the symptoms of a gout attack coming on, use what you have on hand right away. Over-the-counter ibuprofen or naproxen will help relieve the pain, but never take Aspirin, which can actually make your symptoms worse. If youve been prescribed an anti-inflammatory by your doctor for your gout flare-ups, make sure to take the recommended dose. If you have frequent pain and flare-ups, you may be prescribed a daily medication of a uric acid lowering drug.
If youve been dealing with gout, we hope these prevention tips and remedies help ease the pain and discomfort!
Read Also: Are Almonds High In Purines
This Common Inflammation Of The Joints Can Be Treated And Managed With Medication And Lifestyle Changes
Gout affects more than eight million adults, six million of whom are men. It often strikes suddenly, like flicking on a light switch, and the pain is severe, with intense swelling and redness.
Food choices can dictate if you get gout, as high intake of organ meat, shellfish, and alcohol can raise your risk. But diet is only a part of it. “There is a direct relationship between advancing age and gout,” says Dr. Robert Shmerling, clinical chief of rheumatology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
In general, if you have one attack, there is a good chance you will have another within the next year. Even if you have avoided gout so far, you still may suffer from it in the future. Yet there are ways to reduce your risk as well as prevent repeat attacks.
Southern Cross Medical Library
The purpose of the Southern Cross Medical Library is to provide information of a general nature to help you better understand certain medical conditions. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. This information is not intended to relate specifically to insurance or healthcare services provided by Southern Cross. For more articles go to the Medical Library index page.
Read Also: Is Onion Good For Gout
Drink Plenty Of Water
This wont likely provide immediate relief, but inadequate hydration is known to contribute towards the creation of urate crystals.
Drinking water may flush uric acid crystals out of your system.
Preliminary research suggests that adequate water consumption during the 24-hour period before a gout flare can decrease recurrent gout attacks.
Acv And Cayenne Pepper Paste
Cayenne pepper is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties, such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and flavonoids. This herb is great for gout symptoms like joint pain and nerve damage in the feet.
Here is how to combine it with ACV for a great gout remedy.
- 2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- Mix the ingredients together to form a paste, and apply it over the affected joints.
- Repeat once daily for best results, and until symptoms are controlled.
Recommended Reading: Is Pickle Juice Good For Gout
Ways To Deal With Painful Gout Attacks
Its difficult to focus on work or other daily activities when youre experiencing gout inflammation and pain. Symptoms can last for a few days or even weeks, with the worst pain usually occurring in the first day or two.
While the best thing to do is talk to your physician, there are several steps you can take right away ease your gout symptoms:
Excess uric acid in the bloodstream can lead to the formation of uric acid crystals in one or more joints, resulting in gout.Read:All About Gout – Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Topical Cold Or Hot Application
Applying cold or hot water to inflamed joints may also be effective.
Studies and opinions on this are mixed. Soaking in cold water is most often recommended and considered most effective. Ice packs may also work.
Soaking in hot water is typically only recommended when inflammation isnt as intense.
Alternating hot and cold applications may also be helpful.
Don’t Miss: Allopurinol Side Effects Alcohol
Foods To Avoid If You Have Gout
Scallops: Scallops are rich in purines, which the body breaks down into uric acid. When your gout is at bay, you will have a little more freedom with your food choices, but it is still a good idea to keep the scallop consumption to a minimum.
Beer: Drinking beer is what I call a double-whammy for those prone to gout. Not only does it increase your uric acid levels, but it also makes it difficult for your body to get rid of this substance.
High-fructose corn syrup: Avoid beverages that are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, such as sodas or fruit drinks. These beverages will stimulate the body to produce more uric acid.
Goose and turkey: Goose and turkey meat are higher in purines, so you will want to avoid them. Substitute them with chicken or duck.
Get Answers Advice And Medicine
The pain from a gout attack usually gets better in 3 to 10 days. But youâll feel better faster if the gout is treated. If you think you might have it, contact your doctor. An exam and tests will show if itâs gout or something else, like an infection.
Talk with your doctor about the best medicines for you. The type will depend on how well your kidneys work, the possible side effects, and other health issues.
You May Like: Pistachios Nuts And Gout
How To Take Colchicine
- Before you start the treatment, read the manufacturer’s printed information leaflet from inside the pack. It will give you more information about colchicine and will provide you with a full list of the side-effects which you may experience from taking it.
- You must take colchicine exactly as your doctor tells you to. Most doctors will recommend that when a gout attacks starts, you should take one tablet 2-4 times a day until the pain eases. It is important that you do not take more than 12 tablets of colchicine as a course of treatment during any one gout attack. It is also important that you leave at least three days between courses of colchicine. If you find you are having frequent attacks of gout, please let your doctor know about this.
- If you have recently been prescribed a medicine to prevent gout attacks and you have been given colchicine to prevent a flare-up attack of gout, the usual dose for this is one tablet twice each day.
- Take colchicine tablets with a drink of water.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember unless it is nearly time for your next dose, in which case leave out the missed dose. Do not take two doses together to make up for a forgotten dose.
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Gout
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs : These can quickly relieve the pain and swelling of an acute gout episode. They can shorten the attack, especially if taken in the first 24 hours.
- Corticosteroids: These drugs can be taken by mouth or injected into an inflamed joint to quickly relieve the pain and swelling of an acute attack. Corticosteroids usually start working within 24 hours after they are taken.
- Colchicine: An anti-inflammatory medicine that works best if taken within the first 24 hours of a gout attack.
Medications for reducing uric acid levels: These are usually prescribed after an acute attack ends to reduce uric acid levels in the body to prevent future attacks.
- Colchicine: Regular and low doses of colchicine may be given along with other medications below to prevent flare-ups.
- Allopurinol: It reduces uric acid production in the body.
- : It reduces uric acid production in the body.
- Probenecid: It acts on the kidneys to help eliminate uric acid.
- Pegloticase: This is a medication that is injected every 2 weeks. It reduces uric acid quickly and used when other medications fail.
Lifestyle and home remedies to treat acute gout and can prevent recurrent attacks:
- Limiting or avoiding alcohol consumption and drinks sweetened with fructose
- Limiting intake of foods high in purines, such as red meat, organ meats, and seafood
- Drinking plenty of fluids
Also Check: Onions Bad For Gout
How To Handle Your First Gout Attack
After a first attack of gout, its OK to try to stave off another one with dietary changes alone. But if you have another attack, its important to start taking preventive gout medications on a regular basis. Long-term medications for gout include allopurinol and febuxostat, both of which limit uric acid production.
Some patients, says Dr. Fields, treat each attack as a separate event and dont talk to their doctors about doing a preventive approach. He uses the analogy of lighting a book of matches. If you have one match lit, its easy to put out, but if you have the whole book lit, its a lot harder.
Warning Signs Of A Gout Flare
Some people with gout, also known as gouty arthritis, say an attack begins with a burning, itching, or tingling feeling in a joint maybe an hour or two before the flare-up starts. The joint may feel a little stiff or a bit sore. Not long after, the telltale signs of gout begin. If you get repeated attacks, you’ll learn your body’s signals that one is about to begin.
Sometimes, people with gout have no early signs that a flare is about to start. They may just wake up in the middle of the night with a very painful joint.
When the flare starts, most people have redness, swelling, and severe pain, usually in one joint. The most common place for gout is the base of the big toe, but it can happen in other joints such as the elbow, knee, wrist, ankle, and instep.
Also Check: Are Almonds Bad For Gout
Consumption Of Sour Or Sweet Cherries
Cherries are one of the simplest ways to counter pain. This remedy has been found to be effective in decreasing uric acid levels for years.
Cherries contain a rich amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C can effectively reduce uric acid levels. Therefore, regular consumption of cherries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and purple grapes is helpful in treating Gout. Drinking a glassful of cherry juice is also found to be very effective.
Increase Your Fluid Intake
You must consume ample amounts of fluids daily to dilute uric acid and facilitate its excretion through more urine output. Water is your best bet, but you can also supplement your fluid needs through healthy juices and succulent fruits or vegetables.
Avoid alcohol and sweetened beverages such as sodas, which can dehydrate the body due to their strong diuretic effect.
You May Like: Gout And Tofu
Naturasil Gout Pain Relief
- Cost: $29.95
Naturasil for Gout is a product offered by Nature’s Innovation, an Atlanta-based biotech company that manufactures natural products and homeopathic medicines. Applied topically wherever your joints are painful, this gout relief product can be used 3-4 times per day and massaged in.
The ingredients in Naturasil for Gout are 100% essential oils:
- Capsicum Annuum
- Peppermint Oil
- Sesame Seed Oil
Visit the product page to see how each of those components work together to relieve pain, aid in joint movement, and improve circulation, among other benefits. Keep in mind that some people may be sensitive to essential oils, so you may want to test a small area of your skin before going full speed ahead with a large-scale application.
Middle of the pack pricing
One 15mL bottle should last around 30 days, depending on how often you use it for gout relief. At a price of $29.95, that’s right in the middle compared with similar products. Shipping fees are calculated at checkout you can expect to pay a little over $5 for a single bottle via USPS First Class.
90 day guarantee
This product is backed by a 90-day money-back guarantee. The company asks that you use Gout Pain Relief as directed for at least 30 days before requesting a refund, which will have any shipping costs deducted from the total amount.
Lack of customer reviews
Charcoal Therapy And Epsom Salt Therapy For Fast Gout Pain Relief
Other effective therapies for gout relief are charcoal therapy and Epsom salt therapy. Prepare a paste of half cup of charcoal powder in water and place it in the basin.
Put the aching foot in the basin and pour enough water to cover your foot completely. Keep the foot in a charcoal bath for about 30-50 minutes.
If the big toe is affected, Epsom salt therapy is quite helpful. Due to its content of magnesium, Epsom salt can help to eliminate toxins, waster products, and heavy metals from the blood. Soak your foot in a tub of Epsom salt.
Don’t Miss: Black Cherry Juice For Gout Cvs
Cherries Or Tart Cherry Juice
According to a , cherries whether sour, sweet, red, black, in extract form, as a juice, or raw are a very popular and potentially successful home remedy for many.
This research recommends three servings of any cherry form over a two-day period, which was considered the most effective.