Treatments And Home Remedies For Gout
One important thing you need to know is the fact that gout is not curable. However, it can be successfully managed with some restrictions and a good understanding of its internal workings. Here are a few ways of keeping your gout under control and making sure that when it does strike, its not as painful and doesnt last as long as without treatment.
Side Effects And Risks
Essential oils may be natural, but that doesnt mean they are harmless.
- Never put essential oils directly on your skin. Dilute oil extracts into a carrier oil such as olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil.
- Conduct a patch test. Place a small amount of your oil mixture in a discrete area. Wait one or two days to make sure you dont have a bad reaction.
- Many essential oils are toxic, so avoid taking them orally.
- Some herbs and supplements can interfere with your prescription medications, so discuss them with your doctor.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated and meant to be used topically or diffused as aromatherapy. They can cause unpleasant side effects like headaches.
Try To Decrease Stress
A life without stress is impossible these days. There is no single method to avoid it unless you live in the wild. A natural treatment for gout can be to use methods that decrease stress. The best examples are exercising, yoga, meditation, reading, and anything that makes you happy.
But why stress affects gout? Stress decreases the production of pantothenic acid. When this acid is low, the uric acid level will be high and we all know what that means! Try to find a way to decrease stress at all cost.
Suggested article: Gout And Stress Can Gout Be Caused By Stress?
You May Like: Best Diet To Control Gout
Hot And Cold Compresses
Switching between a hot compress for three minutes and a cold compress for 30 seconds on the affected area can help reduce pain and swelling that occurs during a gout attack.
In most people, a first acute gout attack comes without warning, and there arent any other symptoms of high uric acid. Prevention efforts for gout are focused on preventing future attacks or lessening their severity.
Using Epsom Salt While Taking A Bath
Epsom salt has been used as an alternative medicine for decades. It is mandatory to remember that you must not drink or consume epsom salt in any form. The only way to use it is to add 1-2 cups to warm water while taking a bath. Apparently, it will be absorbed by the skin and directly affect the inflammation thanks to high levels of magnesium. If you consume plenty of foods rich in magnesium, there is no need to use both of these remedies. But, if you want soft skin, you may want to try epsom salt.
These home remedies for gout have been tried and used by 90% of gout sufferers. They truly work and they are easy, simple, and safe. For the best results, use all of them or try to find 4-5 that are the most effective. Every person is different so you will need to find your ideal set of home remedies.
Read Also: Is Ginger Ale Good For Gout
Natural Home Remedies For Gout
People with gout are increasingly looking for natural home remedies for gout. So, if youre in that group, here are ten of the most popular and effective.
But first, please take a couple of minutes to listen to gout specialist, the excellent Dr. Edwards
- It can affect various joints in the body, not just the big toe.
- Repeat gout attacks can eventually lead to disablement.
- The incidence of gout worldwide has doubled over the past 20 years.
- Gout isnt just a disease of the rich, those who overeat, or those who drink alcohol to excess.
- Theres certainly a link between obesity and gout, but not all obese people will have gout.
- Theres also a link between alcohol and gout, but not all people with gout drink alcohol.
- Middle-aged men are most at risk although women also have a higher risk as they grow older.
- Once you have gout its for life, not just when youre suffering the symptoms of a gout attack.
Note: Dr. Edwards spoke about the links between obesity, alcohol and gout and explained that not all people who are obese or who drink to excess have gout.
However, studies have shown that obesity and alcohol are high risk factors for gout. So although some people who are obese, or who drink to excess, may not have gout now, nevertheless they are still at a higher risk of gout at some point in their lives compared with those who are not obese and who dont drink to excess.
For me, the two main takeaways from Dr. Edwards very informative video are:
Some Home Remedies For Gout
- Try apple cider vinegar Helping to make the body more alkaline, apple cider vinegar has become a well-known proven solution for countless ailments, including gout. Try mixing 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water. You can either drink it in one sitting or sip on it over time try both methods and see which is more effective. This solution can reduce pain by 90% within a day or two. Note: Be sure to use organic apple cider vinegar with the mother.
- Baking Soda Among other home remedies for gout is the use of baking soda. Mixing baking soda in water can effectively relieve pain almost instantly, though it may take 1-2 days. Mix 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in 8 oz. of water and drink it in one sitting. You may need to repeat this a few times a day, taking as much as 3 teaspoons total. Reduce the dose as the pain goes away. Note: The maximum recommended dose is 4 teaspoons throughout the day. Lastly, use caution if you suffer from hypertension, as baking soda may raise blood pressure when taken in larger amounts.
- Eliminate sugar and soda Whether its caffeinated or not, drinking two sodas each day can increase your risk of gout by a whopping 85%! Why? Sugar! Reduce sugar intake dramatically and risk of experiencing gout will dramatically drop.
- Hydrate Drink plenty of water. This will help flush out the excess uric acid.
- Reduce alcohol consumption Alcohol dehydrates the body and could raise uric acid levels in the blood.
- Reduce caffeine intake.
Also Check: Why Does Allopurinol Worsen Acute Gout
Lemon Juice Neutralizes The Excess Uric Acid In The Bloodstream As It Can Alkalize The Body And Thus Relieves Gout Pain
9. Make A Lemonade
Indulge in the goodness of lemons by pouring in some lemon juice for yourself but minus the sugar. Lemon juice neutralizes the excess uric acid in the bloodstream as it can alkalize the body and thus relieves gout pain. Squeeze some lemon into a glass of water and drink three times a day preferably after meals to get the best results.
10. Soak in the Goodness of Epsom Salts
Epsom salts are rich in magnesium and good for your heart. They are also known to regulate blood pressure. It also removes toxins from the body soothing the inflamed joints and relaxing the body. Take ½ cup of Epsom salts and mix it in a bucket of warm water and soak the affected parts in it. Wash with regular water afterward.
11. Exercise Regularly
Exercise is also a great way to unwind
Lack of exercise and obesity also causes gout in people and hence exercising regularly is the key to a good & healthy system free from gout and other diseases. Exercise keeps the insulin levels normal in the body which reduces the uric acid deposits. Controlling our weights by eating right will also aid in weight management and hence provide relief from gout.
12. Eat Right
A diet high in purines causes uric acid levels to rise. Avoid eating rich in purine foods like the following to avoid gout-flare-ups.
- Red meat, liver or kidneys or any meat form in large amounts
- Seafood such as mackerel, scallops or any other oily fish in huge quantities
- Spinach and cauliflower in large quantities
How Do Doctors Diagnose Gout
- This is the most important diagnostic test. It is the ultimate method of being certain of a diagnosis of gouty arthritis, as opposed to other causes such as an infection in the joint.
- A needle is inserted into the joint to withdraw a sample of fluid for testing.
- The fluid is examined under a microscope to see if there are gout crystals or signs of a bacterial infection present. Sometimes other crystals can be found in the joint fluid, such as calcium pyrophosphate, which is caused by an entirely different condition called pseudogout .
- Gouty arthritis is sometimes diagnosed based on the typical clinical presentation without a joint aspiration.
- A doctor may obtain a blood sample to look at cell counts, uric acid levels, kidney function, etc.
- Unfortunately, the level of uric acid in the blood cannot be reliably used to make a diagnosis of gout. It is normal in approximately 10% of people during an acute attack of gouty arthritis. Moreover, uric acid levels are elevated in 5%-8% of the general population, so the presence of an elevated level does not necessarily mean that gout is the cause of an inflamed joint. Interestingly, the uric acid is typically lowered during a flare of inflammatory gouty arthritis. Therefore, the optimal time to measure the uric acid is after a flare has resolved when acute inflammation is not present.
You May Like: Does Gout Make Your Urine Smell
Treating The Pain At Home
Let’s Start By Understandingthe Painful Symptoms Of Gout
Gout is actually a type of arthritis that strikes like a bolt, out of the blue. Its excruciating, throbbing pain often strikes during the night. The affected area turns the skin red-hot, leaving the joint swollen and extremely tender. The bad news is, the painful symptoms can last for several days, weeks and sometimes longer.
The first bout of Gout will suddenly disappear as fast as it appeared. Usually after you get through the first bout it takes several years before Gout will strike again, sometimes as long as ten years. Then the bouts will appear more frequently and last longer, sometimes affecting other joints. Once your reach this stage of Gout, a state of chronic or continuous joint disease may develop with progressive joint damage.
Research is discovering people with chronic Knee Pain and Low Back Pain have previously had a bout of Gout.
The excess of uric acid in your system forms into tiny troublemaking crystals that inflame the joints. Uric acid is derived from certain foods, and a low-purine diet is recommended.
Some of the foods high in purines are
Therefore, the most important home remedy for gout is a diet low in purines. High protein foods are what can cause the high doses of purines. The purines in vegetables are different and don’t change our risk of high uric acid levels.
The second most important Home Remedy for Gout would be to avoid any Alcohol during a Gout attack.
Recommended Reading: Home Remedy For Gout Arthritis
Whats The Best Way To Take Lab
Your body doesnt typically excrete enough uric acid on its own to minimize the risk of a gout attack. Lab-grade Chanca Piedra is that extra added push for your body to be able to not only flush out uric acid in the kidney and liver, but to also inhibit the formation of uric acid crystals. Chanca Piedra has also been shown to help with inflammation.
To dissolve uric acid crystals or to prevent them from forming altogether:
Keep in mind that each individual is unique and will respond differently to each treatment type. Always discuss any new treatments that you are considering with your physician prior to starting them so he/she can review with you any potential medication interactions and potential side effect concerns.
Pain Relief Without Medicine
Use cold. If your pain isn’t too bad, try cold packs or compresses on the joint to lower inflammation and soothe the ache. Wrap ice in a thin towel and apply it to the joint for up to 20 minutes several times a day. Do not apply ice to your hands or feet if you have nerve problems from diabetes or other causes.
Rest the joint. It’s a good idea to rest it until the pain eases up. You probably won’t want to move it much anyway. If you can, raise the joint on a pillow or other soft object.
Drink water. When your body doesnât have enough water, your uric acid levels rise even higher. Stay hydrated to help keep those levels normal.
Watch what you eat and drink. Foods that are high in substances called purines, such as some seafood, organ meats like liver, and fatty foods, can raise the uric acid in your blood even more. So can fructose-sweetened drinks and alcohol — especially beer.
Recommended Reading: What Seafood Is Bad For Gout
Reduce Purines In Your Diet
Uric acid is a byproduct of the natural breakdown of purines chemical compounds found in all of the bodys cells.
Purines also exist in animals cells, and nearly all our foods at varying levels. So the more high-purine food eaten the more uric acid is produced.
Someone with gout is usually advised to move to a low-purine diet in order to reduce their uric acid levels.
Some animal protein may be eaten, but no more than 4 ounces of lean meat or fish or poultry a day.
Remember, there isnt an actual cure for gout, but it can be managed. Moving to a healthy gout diet will help you manage your condition much more effectively and help reduce the risk of further flares.
Gout Ph Booster Remedy #5
Green tea really is a nutritional marvel! If you’re not drinking green tea every day then you’re missing out on one of natures most powerful all-round healers. Not only does it contain some of the strongest antioxidants yet discovered, green tea also helps the body stay alkalized.
The beauty of green tea is the more cups you drink the better the health benefits. Personally, I have the equivalent of at least twelve tea bags a day and feel terrific for it. At 50 years of age, Ive also never suffered from any health problems including gout, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or kidney stones .
The only down side to green tea is the taste. However, a couple of teaspoons of organic honey, or mint or lemon juice, will make it pleasant and drinkable. Or, you can buy one of the many green tea blends instead. If you find you really cant handle the taste though, take green tea supplements instead.
Note: For more powerful home remedies and treatments for gout and gouty arthritis, be sure to click on the link below…
Recommended Reading: Food To Eat For Gout Treatment
How To Prevent Gout
- Drink lots and lots of water.
- Consume balance diet.
- Add fresh juices in your healthy diet.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid consuming too much red meat, fish, tofu, and other foods, which contain purine in high amount.
- Develop a habit of eating fruits, which are full of potassium and Vitamin C, like apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Drink a glass of lemon water after having lunch or dinner.
- Do not take too much of diuretic medications as it can reduce the amount of potassium in your body.
- Limit the soft drinks, which contain fructose in high amount.
- Drink skimmed or low fat milk.
- Eat green vegetables and salads.
Gout Remedies To Prevent And Relieve Pain Quickly
This post may contain affiliate links.
If youve ever suffered a gout attack, you know how completely terrible they can be. From burning and swelling, to excruciating pain, gout is one of the most unpleasant conditions there is. Once you feel the warning signs of a gout attack coming on, you know you want to do whatever you can to mitigate the pain. If you deal with gout pain and discomfort, here are 4 gout remedies to help you through it.
You May Like: Colchicine 0.6 Mg Dosage For Gout